Saturday, January 12, 2008

January 2008 12 of 12

It's a fresh start to the New Year with the 12 of 12 and my resolution is to make all 12 months. Dammit.

I'm happy today was Saturday - I am tired of taking pictures at my job! ZZZZZZZZZZZ

Today, completely unplanned to coincide with 12 of 12, I went flying with my work buddy, John, and his 8 year-old daughter. I've been flying once before with John and he's an excellent pilot. He does better landings than most jets I've been on. Unfortunately, that meant waking up early (for me - I did work until 12 am last night!) today and trekking to Connecticut on the train. Here I am at 10:15 am, ready to go and hiding behind sunglasses!



I got to the end of the train line around 12:20 pm and we arrived to rent the plane at about 12:30-ish. It was substantially colder in Danbury and I was frosty. This is our Arrow Piper. Tiny, huh?


This is the cockpit. John sits on the left. I'm on the right and his daughter was in the backseat. The plane seats four smallish people, unless you literally want to be crammed in a tin can like a sardine.


John did his preflight while I froze my ass off on the tarmack and finally we took off into the beautiful blue sky with high streaming clouds. It was a gorgeous day! Here we are starting down the runway.

And here we are taking off the runway. I love the shadow of the plane down on the left!

The fearless pilot.


Flying over Long Island Sound. We didn't go far - about a 20 minute flight to Long Island, over the Sound.


Coming in to land.

Climbing out of the plane, I noticed a tiny patch of rainbow in the sky. It was still there an hour later after we had lunch at a WWII-themed restaurant. There were some cool fighter planes from that era parked outside.

The clouds were really gorgeous when we walked from the restaurant to the plane.


Here's me and the little chickadee at the plane.

Ahhh.....at home with some vino and two movies from Netflix. A nice relaxing evening to a great day!


21 comments:

Pete Cullen said...

Now that is how to spend a day! Great pics :)

Christin said...

I love flying! One day, when I have enough time and money, I'd love to get a private pilot's license.

What a wonderful 12 of 12!

graphsman said...

This 12 of 12 reminds me that I've never fly, even if there is a little airport near my parents house... Nice pics !

Dogeared said...

Wow, what an awesome day out, and especially for a 12 of 12! Lovely photos, especially of the sky and the view. And then a fab night in with films and wine - excellent!

Helen/Dogeared

Poun said...

It was indeed a very gorgeous day and you seemed to have fun !!!
The view from the plane is just beautiful, and a WW 2 theme restaurant sounds great !!

Matt said...

What a cool way to spend the day!! Beautiful.

Elaine said...

What a great day to go flying! Great pics!

Nici said...

Great pics! Seems like you had a wonderful days and the view out of the plane looks awesome (here it was cloudy and rainy all day :/)

madhousesix said...

i love the shot of the airplane's shadow... i've always dug pic's like that. very nice indeed.

cheers.

Anonymous said...

Awesome pics!! I think we've got some more Saturdays this year...we should try to do that NYC meet up thing!!

khowaga said...

That looks like so much fun! Thanks for sharing!

Poun said...

PS : you asked on my 12 of 12 what camera I use...it's a Canon E0S 400D, I just got it on Christmas (gifted and self bought !! lol)

xxx

Sunny Archibald said...

Thanks for sharing your day. Very nice photos.

Hibe said...

Hello Michele,
This is Hibe (aka Gary). I’m participating in the 12 of 12 challenge also. I have included in my 12 of 12 homepage a link to the page you listed with Chad. If this is not permissible with you, please email me Hibe@rcn.com or drop a comment at http://hibes12of12.blogspot.com/ . Please feel free to post my link if you wish.

I wish my day was half as fun as yours. Great pics.

Carlie said...

great pics! I went up in helicopter once over my city, it was a great day!

Lipp said...

Great '12 Michelle. Its a blast flying around in small planes, isn't it.

Kayte said...

Wow, what a great day to take pictures! Do you guys fly just for fun?

Thanks for stopping by my 12 of 12 - I'm looking forward to next month!

Hibe said...

Michele,
The 366 is a challenge set up by some young american girls, since then adopted by Helen/dogeared. There are 366 themes and the challenge is to take and post all the themes by the end of the year. No daily quota or order that you must post them in. some have even made their own list of themes. Rules and Themes can be found on Helen's blog or even mine. http://hibes366photo.blogspot.com/ I have Helen's link listed along with some others there. Hope you can join us. ...by the way you look really good for 251. :)

Bec said...

What a neat 12 of 12! Love your red winter coat too!

Susan said...

how fun!!! what a great day to have 12 of 12!!

Linda said...

I'm glad you know someone who enjoys taking you up flying. Hope you get to go up again.