Friday, June 13, 2008

June 2008 12 of 12

Time for another 12 of 12. For details, check out the Father of the 12, Chad Darnell's website for all the details in participating.

WARNING: This 12 sucks. This was not a fun day for me. Without going into details, I am tackling a serious problem head on and the solution isn't a fun one. *Sigh* Well, life goes on!


Here is me, getting ready to leave home for the day. I was actually very optimistic at this point, but I think I knew what the score would be.


My meeting was downtown in the Wall Street area. I haven't been down there since I took my friends to the WTC site about a year and a half ago. The vastness of the hole in the sky always gets me. Fit my mood.

The Deutsche Bank building, the black building, which was once very tall, is growing shorter by the day. It was completely damaged on 9/11. They've been dismantling it storey by storey, but whether or not this is being done in a way to reduce contamination being released into the air and soil is in debate. There have been accidents and fires there, so safety is in question. Allegedly, it is being done safely. But it's almost 7 years later and it's still standing. Crazy. 7 years. I can't believe that. It still feels like a year ago down here.

Because of construction on the new Freedom Tower, the memorial area for the WTC has been closed off. There's no place to pay respects except across the street at St. Paul's church, the haven for firefighters and workers during the recovery. Miraculously, it wasn't damaged at all except for the loss of a huge 100 year-old sycamore tree.

This is the Freedom Bell, made in England by the same folks who made the Liberty Bell. It was a gift to the city after 9/11 and rings on the anniversary. The stump of the sycamore tree rests across from the bell and serves as a little memorial. I didn't take a picture of it because it felt disrespectful. I just said a prayer for those who died and left a penny. The stump has coins on all over it.

Another shot of the empty space of the WTC. The only other place where there is such a big open space in Manhattan is the main field of Central Park.

I needed to walk after my "adventures", so I just started walking uptown. Passed the lovely jail. It's like a monolith. I didn't realize how morbid my photos were until this point. I promised no more downers!!!

So I am goofing at work with this one. Poor me! Whaa! I'm so sad! Poking fun at myself made me feel a little better.


I think I have probably four variations of this picture of John in my 12s!!! Loading up on stale doughnuts and coffee before work. Hahahaha!

I was "on-call" from 7:45 to 12am. OMG. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Absolutely nothing to do.


Working hard or hardly working? Surfing my Battlestar Galactica message board, Pegasus Actual.

I have no 12th picture. I just couldn't bring myself to shoot another photo of nothing!!! Next month will be better, I have no doubt. Things will pass and all will be well. Besides, if you want to see amazing photos, just back up 12 days and look at my blog from Joshua Tree!

6 comments:

khowaga said...

Oh, jeez, I've so been there! ("What on EARTH am I going to photograph? There are only so many angles I can shoot my desk from...")

Nice set, tho -- has the weather cooled off up there? (And if so, can you send some our way?)

Sunny Archibald said...

I'm sorry you had a rotten day. It must be hard seeing the big empty space in your lovely city day after day.

Poun said...

I'm sorry you had a bad day.
but I loved your goofy pic ! very funny !

also, I can't believe it's already been 7 years !!
And, that monolith thingy is a jail ???!! seriously ?!! weird!

Lisa B said...

Even if your day felt a bit flat, your photos are lovely! It is scary about the contamination. I would never have guessed that building is a jail!

Dogeared said...

They may have felt flat to you, but they were lovely to look at, honestly. I can't believe it's been 7 years - it doesn't feel that long. I've managed to graduate and work for a few years in that time - unbelievable.

I hope whatever the problem you're tackling is, that it gets sorted and without too much stress or upset [hug].

Alpha Omega said...

SENDING YOU A BIG

*****HUG*****
*****HUG*****
*****HUG*****
*****HUG*****
*****HUG*****
*****HUG*****
*****HUG*****
*****HUG*****
*****HUG*****
*****HUG*****