Sunday, December 07, 2008

November 19, 2008

So this is a new feature for me - blogging on acting. I have my photographic 12 of 12 blog as well, but nothing that really addresses my journey as an actor and why I chose to do this, leaving a more secure (though crazy-making) career as a psychotherapist and going back to the insanity that is life as an actor.

It's been a few years now since I moved from Williamsport, PA to restart an acting career. I'm already in my second apartment - much better than the first, that's for sure! - but still at the same money job, which is working pretty well to support me and allow me to audition. I'm optimistic. No, I haven't had the "big" break, but I have met and worked with some terrific people and continue to be able to get auditions on my own.

My latest adventure has been with TAM, The Actors Market and Gwyn Gilliss. I did the NY Actors Marathon and met 50 industry professionals - agents, casting directors, managers - and it was a great experience. After meeting with Gwyn for follow-up, I realized I need to get my reel and website reflecting more of who I am and how I can be cast, so I am in the process of doing both those things.I was called in for two commercial auditions from contacts made at the Marathon - one for a print ad campaign by Amy Gossels and one for a web campaign by Meredith Jacobson Marciano. The print ad was a "go-see", which is only the second I've done since coming to NYC, where you go in and they photograph you. There's no copy or anything, as it's print, so it's just about being you in a short minute. The following week, I noticed that the "Caucasian female" type age range for the ad campaign was changed to an older range, so I guess the client decided to go with something different. You just have to roll with it! It was a nice opportunity to resee Amy and get myself in front of her again, which is what it's all about.

The web campaign audition was really fun as I got to write my own material! I am so glad that I have been working with my acting teacher, Penny Templeton, over the past two summers on writing my own material because it sure came in handy and I wasn't self-conscious at all. The audition specified to talk, dance, sing, etc. how you pursue your passion. I first thought, "There's no way I can write about acting - how boring is that?!" but then I began to think about what my passion is and discovered that it's not necessarily about a goal but about living that journey towards my goals. So I wrote a monologue talking about how I am a "jumper" and just leap off the cliff when it comes to follow my passion, that I want to really live my life without fear and passion fuels me along the way. I really liked what I came up with - it's me - so no matter what, if anything, comes up from the audition, I feel great about what I did and can put this piece in with my developing one-woman show that I've been working on.

No comments: