Sunday, December 07, 2008

November 26, 2008

On Saturday, I attended the "I'll Replace You" opening at Postmasters Gallery. I didn't know what to expect. I've seen other art installations but not multimedia exhibits. Some you walk through, some are environments you look at. This was a bit of both. The first room was a large black box space where the film that I'm in was playing continuously on a loop. The film is about 16 minutes and shows people replacing Jennifer and Kevin McCoy in various roles in their life. Some sections are cut very quickly with many people finishing sentences or even words of the other. Other sections have more dialog and are more "scenes". I enjoyed the film. There was a lot of humor and a great sense of commonality and shared experience.

In the second room, painted white, there were several parts of the show. To the right were two photographic displays, one for each of the artists. One showed Kevin with many "Jennifers" in a wig - males, females, kids, adults, seniors - and the other with Jennifer and many "Kevins" in wig and mustache. It was amusing and provoking and my favorite photo was of Jennifer with a "Kevin" who was a nursing mother. With the "pregnant man" story in the news this past year, the photo tickled my funny bone and made me think that we're all just people first who end up in these combinations at random and who knows what will work?

There were two paintings that were discussed in the film at length on another wall - and unfortunately the volume in the the theatre was too loud for me to hear most of what was said about them. They seemed to be mirror images of each other and I want to revisit the show so I can hear the dialogue in the film more clearly about the paintings. The other part of the exhibit was a dvd setup where people were watching scenes of people talk about artworks projected onto the wall behind them. I didn't get to listen, as you had to wear headphones and that part of the exhibit was crowded with the people who appear in it! They all wanted to see each other's segments - so that's another part of the whole I have to see on a less crowded day!

Today the promo for the NY Marathon was posted on the TAM Store site and I appear in it in several places, including giving a testimonial. Unfortunately, my name is spelled wrong (which is so easy to do!) but I'm sure that can be corrected and I'm hoping in the meantime that this link helps people find me easier when Googling. It's a nice video! Very cool and really captures the atmosphere of the Marathon.

Tomorrow I travel to see my parents and wish my father a very Happy Thanksgiving - the biggest blessing is that he is alive, recovering and on the mend. I am so incredibly thankful.

No comments: